Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmalargo

Final touches on our new guest area

Alice Edwards
last year

Please be so kind as to help me finish our new guest bedroom. My old post has disappeared and probably a blessing in disguise! I have all the furniture in the only spots they fit in here. Is a small narrow bedroom (9’ x 13’)

Just received my third and final bedspread today and it seems to match my bird art frames above the bed. I realize i may need a bit more fluff in the bed although the buttons along the foot are really something i like. And I still want to paint the headboard and refinish the nightstand is where I am at now.

The rattan chair and armoire have a bit of different styles but I am keeping them in here and I just hung the new curtains.

I have attempted to keep my new post here brief but informative. The wall with the straw hat is something i’m working in and hopefully can make it work. I’m really not wishing to have this room formal, just pleasant and the vintage french (not too country) was my original wishes, hopefully I can gather help from us Houzzers to get this room more complete. The adjoining bathroom we added here has made me so happy with everyone’s help. I’ll show pictures as well of that here too.

We really stretched our budget on the bathroom addition, so i’m only able to move forward with most the items i already have here.

Everyone’s welcome here as you all know me here and always appreciate the help and fun we’ve had thus far.

I’m stubborn and will bot give up on finalizing, lol.

Comments (16K)

• zazfuzzroc
    3 days ago

Hi Alice, hope your day is going well! 😊

• glschisler
    2 days ago

Safe travels Tiffany!

• glschisler
    2 days ago

Alice, those flowers are soooo pretty!🥰

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Oh thanks Gls. I managed to pick up new chain and coconut liners for the hangers and petunias today! Hopefully this weekend I can get them up. Have been super busy at work today. We’ve just been under thunderstorm after thunderstorm up here and I’m ready to get in the yard but it is under water! I noticed today Lowe’s had better looking roses than the nursery we visited yesterday. I saw some in a customer’s basket but didn’t get even a minute to get out to our garden section except to run my buggy out there and throw a big bag of planting soil in and get back in. Tomorrow keeping thing one and thing two, then get back home and collapse 😂. We’ll hopefully get some nicer weather this weekend.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Hey there Zazzamaroon! Thanks for checking on me! I’ve been in and out of your and other posts just enough to keep up with the news. Not much time to respond but keeping all you guys in my thoughts every day 💗. I have to admit I run into walls all the time, and kick stuff, only in the most inopportune time, so when you hurt your shoulder it just reminded me of myself 😂, no but really keep working it if possible. Worst thing is to go stagnant. I wake up every day in a hobble from go go going but after a bit I loosen up.

• tiffany66
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

My Flight was for Friday nite. Leading up to it nothing buy derailment was taking place.

First, everything I need to buy was out of stock at stores. The tax return compiled but awaiting final medical cost to input and complete -- should only take a 1/2 hr., has now disappeared from their computer system -- so sorry, this has never happened before, but the file is gone and we need to start over -- 4 hours to complete on no sleep. Situation: stress levels on the rise. My helper who was supposed to be here this week to get things done before Flight day has vertigo and can't stand up straight and I can't lift much or kneel.

Taxes delayed my errands - now there is no supply in the stores and the pharmacy closed 4 minutes before I get there. Grrrrr.

Earlier Day of Flight – set up my TV, Phone and Internet on Vacation mode so I don’t get charged while gone takes 1 hour. Lots of additional calls to make and delays because the automated systems never know what I need.🤷‍♀️

Helper coming to help me pack and clean up some things -- supposed to be here in the morning but arrives at 3 and I leave at 5:30. 🤦‍♀️ Stress now on steroids. Meantime making a copy of my hard-drive to load in MI computer is taking forever. Get called -- Driver is close. Finally after running constantly all day – driver arrives and we are off to the airport. AHHH nothing more to be done. I sit back, relax enjoying the ride & conversation knowing I'll sleep through the flight and all day when I get to the house at 5 am. 😁👍

• tiffany66
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. Dropped at the door, I'm on time. Get to counter no wait 😊

Woman says sorry about the fight but we put you on connecting flight thru Vegas. Me: No I'm not. Yes we emailed you - your fight was canceled due to bad weather. But I asked they call me not email. It was time to stop my losses the Universe clearly does not want me to take this trip -- I cancel the longer flight thru Vegas.

Yep then it dawns on me: Driver's gone and I AM STRANDED AT THE AIRPORT. 🤦‍♀️ I forgot without an apt you can't hire Uber. Lucky there was a cab stand they shuttled me to. Many Denaros later and I am back where I started. Only this time after all the stressful weeks I decide I will postpone until Monday and get myself rested sane before I travel so I have coping skills.

Last night I found an old bottle of wine with the screw off cap -- Oh NO the walnut cracker that I use to open bottles is in MI. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Blew the dust off the bottle, ran that thing under the hot water and twisted until it turned.

Q: Do you need to decant wine with screw off cap?? 🤔 OR is it OK to quickly swirl it and drink it straight out of the bottle?? 🤷‍♀️😃

Best night sleep ever. 😜

Oops forgot to tell the police I'm in the house.

• printesa
    2 days ago

tiffany, hope the police didn't wake you up:) It looks like your guardian angel wanted you home. I am sure it's for the best. I am sorry to hear about the filing that they lost and you had to redo..it's so annoying..Get some rest until Monday. The trip will be smooth then:)

• printesa
    2 days ago

some flowers;)

ranunculus

rose and clematis

• liasch
    2 days ago

Oh Tiff…😵‍💫🤦‍♀️🤪🤣🤣 clearly you were not meant to be on that flight. Who knows why don’t question it.

• liasch
    2 days ago

Printesa it is still so freaking cold here it’s hard to believe there are flowers anywhere in the world. However my backyard is full of hummingbirds. I think the whole crew from last year showed up and last night they were fighting over one of the feeders. Silly birds… There are two feeders.

• printesa
    yesterday

I am surprised that the hummingbirds are there so early if it's cold. I saw today a hummingbird in the garden..first one I see this season. I know I will see more once more flowers are in bloom. It's been a funny spring..cold, then really hot, then cold again..Now it's a bit cool for this time of the year, but I like that:)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Printesa I cannot believe you just have so many blooms already! Hummers are showing up here for msybe the past two weeks? My daughter has some feeders out already but she said tonight one was going after her firecracker flower bush. She got that on Wednesday. Her green beans and blueberries are already making and her daisies are good. She has all kinds of things in that bed in the front!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I guess a lot of the breeds coming up now from the south. Some do winter though up north.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

i was going to cut back our privets but I’m letting them get fuller. Maybe the hummers will nest in there? They are denser now this year. I’ve heard they like to nest in the mimosa trees here. Our neighbor one block over has one. It’s not the prettiest tree most the year but they can get in there to hide their tiny nests 💗

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Isn’t this just the cutest little cozy corner 💗

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• tiffany66
    yesterday

That is a great little corner. A real Jane Austin moment. Perfect on a rainy day with a book. I especially love the stripped painted floor, which is a great solution for a badly worn wooden floor. I understand that there is paint for tile floors as well.

• tiffany66
    yesterday

My decision to wait a few days and de-stress was a really great idea. Too many long nights getting taxes, bills etc handled took its tole. Strangly I kept getting this thought about a heart attack. I kept feeling I had pushed the window a little too far by doing way too many all night without sleep. I have to tell myself my body isn't 25 any more. Just because I got a great medical report doesn't mean I can get crazy.

I always new this transition to two houses was going to take about a year to work out all the kinks. Once both computers are mirror images of each other life will be good. I still have one more shipment of stuff from this house of decor things but not urgent for now, but soon.

• tiffany66
    yesterday

Whenever any of you think gee I'm worried how some young person I now is going to survive into adulthood. Take a look at the link I posted of the guy who looks like a cat. If this guy is a computer consultant, trust me none of you should worry.

• printesa
    yesterday

Alice, when blooms are starting, they are bursting:) We have a drizzly day here, so no gardening. I've had a migraine since yesterday..still lingering, but hopefully it will go away. Yesterday I cleaned a bit a flower bed and part of a walkway, and half the patio..the weeds are really taking over my patio..I was hoping to finish the patio today, but I guess not..

I love that attic place..I think I have it saved from a while back. The wallpaper is so beautiful!

• printesa
    yesterday

tiffany, things always happen for a reason. A bit of rest helps everyone. We all tend to push a bit much. I hope the flight on Monday goes without issues...no more extra legs added to the flight. You will settle in the new house and get to enjoy everything around you

• tiffany66
    yesterday

You know when I got home from the airport and saw that MI was having rain over the weekend, I thought it best to stay here with the sun and just get a little more paperwork done to take to MI and get better organized. I made the right decision. My stress level is now wayyy down.

Printesa, did you put castrol oil on your forhead for that migraine??

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

. Well I did get my petunias hung! The afternoon will be sunny over here, I hope it’s enough? I’ve been out here humming to call the hummingbirds :).

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

My house is not a color that I think is appealing but I do want to add here that it is not that green 😆

• printesa
    yesterday

Alice, the basket looks great! You will love it even more when the petunia is growing.

• printesa
    yesterday

tiffany, I completely forgot about that..I went to bed after taking an advil..I didn't even do my skincare. I am better now, but still there. I took a Vit B2 with butterbur..I can take another one soon and see if it helps.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I won’t keep you Printesa, just want to thank you for all the beautiful photos and hoping your migraine can go away! Outside gets stuff in your sinuses or barometric pressure then inside working you are most likely on the computer! We cannot win 😔 Rest and take advantage of the rainy day 💕

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Thank you! If they do pretty well here then they will start to grow and maybe attract some hummers. The front yard is still in my brain. Working on thoughts for that but have to probably wait on my next months self allowance :).

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

And Asters coming next week but will be very small starters. Ordered two!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

So….I had a brain storm this morning for the art over our bed :). Our new ceiling fan works so well that the canvas on the scroll is slightly moving. Since I’ve been a bit on the fence about the scroll I’m wondering if framing that thing above the bed would look better and keep it more secure? I’ll be sure before I actually encounter this thought. The frame I have is no glass, just attaching the canvas in there. Let’s see if I can figure a way to show my idea when we get home without OH seeing what I’m thinking 😆. He likes the scroll but I’m thinking it has its disadvantages? Bbl :) just thinking out loud on this and if we are home in a bit I’ll see what ya’ll think. You all know I cherish opinions here from our houzzers 💗

• printesa
    yesterday

I am sure the petunias will do well there. I fertilize mine every two weeks or so..sometimes every week with the water soluble ones (PW water soluble fertilizer). I use once per season the PW continuous release fertilizer.

This migraine is probably a mix of allergies and hormones. I have other symptoms which I know it's from hormones. It's a bit difficult to pinpoint since I no longer get the monthly reminders..I am not complaining, but it did help to pinpoint things:)

I can see how the fan would move the canvas.. You would need something that is stiffer..then again, if it's not damaging it, it's ok as it is:)

• tiffany66
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Alice why not just roll a pice of painter's tape and fasten each corner to the wall. It's so light weight and the tape is low tack it should be fine. Even if you put a straight pin in each corner it should work.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I have velcro dots back there now, which was working, not sure if the scroll will hold to the wall. I was messing with it last night while he was snoring and it was bumping. The rods in top and bottom had shifted a bit off of the little velcro rounds. I was so praying it didn’t fall but you know I just had to mess with it whilst above his head in the dark. Wouldn’t you know, he stopped snoring but then the infamous nose whistles began. That’s when I yell his name! We did manage to get all the cats sleeping in other rooms for the night, so there is that!

• happyleg
    yesterday

Your basket of flowers look lovely on the house I love that color with your windows and wood you could get cup hooks that screw in the wall get the kind that will fairly match the scroll and they have also mug hooks so pick the size you need that will work holding that up

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Thank you Happy! I went and splurged with three Mandevilla. They were $3.00 each. I have one more hanging basket but I think i’ll put these in a pot with my little trellis

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

That old blue Lobster trap makes a great place to set that big round planter. I’m leaving it there. Thank you Lia, I had just placed it there when I got home but they really like it there so it can stay. Window boxes are a good idea! I love the looks of those. Especially on your home that’s so cottage beautiful 💗

• glschisler
    yesterday

So pretty!🥰

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Thank you Gls, I don’t have many but uh oh, it could be addicting. Maybe one day this will evolve into something! I need to concentrate on perennials mostly though. And save for that front yard, if I see one hummingbird I’ll be happy.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    20 hours ago

Oh! Very interesting way to use a curtain panel like a cafe, but not! I’m saving this one!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    20 hours ago

• btydrvn
    14 hours ago

Looks like it swings open like a door…?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    9 hours ago

Or a shutter curtain, curtain shutter? I like lol

• glschisler
    7 hours ago

Those are interesting but you need room to swing them open.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    6 hours ago

Yea? I’ll save it in my ideas for whenever 😆 or where ever! Sure cannot have it there where Karma and Ripply are camping. But sure is cute 🥰

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    5 hours ago

They should do good here, I think? They’ll perk up, I just got them planted.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    5 hours ago